Play music Print this page Add to Favourites click here for London weather
Peter West Tours
Welcome   Terms of Business   Booking   Fees   About us   Tourist Links   Contact us Our Tours
Oxford and Blenheim Palace   Oxford with Warner Bros studios   Kensington   Westminster Abbey
  France   Ireland   Stonehenge & Bath   Downton Abbey (Highclere Castle)  
Windsor & Hampton Court   Chartwell/Hever/Leeds   The Cotswolds   London Tours   Stratford upon Avon & Warwick Castle  
2006-2011 Testimonials   2012-2017 Testimonials

Here is some information on Hever Castle.

Hever Castle is located in the village of Hever. Hever is a village and civil parish in the Sevenoaks District of Kent, England. The parish is located on the River Eden, a tributary of the River Medway, east of Edenbridge. It is 5 miles (8 km) by 1-mile (1.6 km) in area, and 3,062 acres (12.39 km2) in area. The parish includes the villages of Four Elms, Hever itself, and Markbeech, and has a population of 1,136. and was the seat of the Boleyn, originally 'Bullen', family. It began as a country house, built in the 13th century and was converted into a manor in 1462 by Geoffrey Boleyn, who served as Lord Mayor of the City of London.

In about 1505 Hever Castle became home to Thomas Boleyn and his children George, Mary, and Anne, the future wife of Henry VIII. Anne was probably not born at Hever (the year of her birth is not known for certain) but she did live there until she was sent to the Netherlands in 1513 to receive an education at the court of the Archduchess Margaret.

The property came into the possession of Henry VIII after the death of Anne's father, Thomas Boleyn, in 1539. He bestowed it upon Anne of Cleves in 1540 as part of the settlement following the annulment of their marriage. Although it is thought that Anne spent little time at Hever, she did die in the castle. Hever Castle still has one of Henry's private locks, taken with him on his various visits to noblemen's houses and fitted to every door for his security.

The building subsequently passed through various owners, including the Waldegrave family in 1557 and the Meade Waldo family from 1749 to 1903. During this latter period of ownership the castle fell into a poor state of repair, during which time it was leased to various private tenants. In 1906 it was acquired and completely restored by the American millionaire William Waldorf Astor, who used it as a family residence. [2] Since 1983 the castle has been owned by Broadland Properties Limited. The estate is now run as a conference centre, but the castle is open to the public and is particularly well known for its mazes. The only original part of Hever Castle is the gatehouse. In the castle there are exhibits from differing historical eras, including instruments of torture and a museum of the Kent Yeomanry.

The remains of the original country house timbers can still be seen within the stone walls of the fortification.

Today the castle is popular with visitors, attracting large crowds especially during the spring and summer months. Most visitors are drawn for the castle history, elegant gardens and boating lake. There is a yew maze, planted in 1904, as well as a more recent addition, a water maze, which opened in 1987. The garden is large has a wide range of features including an Italianate garden, rose gardens and a lake.

Chiddingstone Castle is situated in the village of Chiddingstone, Kent, England, in the upper valley of the River Medway. The castle was not originally built as a defensive building, but converted from a manor house in the early eighteen-hundreds. The original building was a timber-framed Tudor dwelling, built by the Streatfeild family, which was first transformed into High Street House in the 1670s, then rebuilt as a medieval-style castle by William Atkinson. Characteristic of the Castleís history, Atkinsonís plans were never completed, owing to lack of funds, and the castleís transformation was partially finished according to Henry Kendallís design during the 1830s.

The Streatfeilds did not occupy the castle after 1900 and finally sold it to Lord Astor in 1938. The castle served as a base for military forces during the Second World War, and then as a home for the Long Dene school until 1954 when the school was closed. Between 1955 and 1977, the castle was occupied by a noted collector of various types of art and artifacts, Denys Bower. His collections have been preserved and are able to be viewed at the castle.

The building is currently managed by a group of four trustees, which include descendants of the original Streatfeild family. It was used a location in the 1986 film A Room with a View.

Additional Information
About France   The Crown Jewels   Tower Bridge London
History of Hever Castle   History of London Bridge   London's interesting markets